Magic Food! It’s Quick, it’s Healthy, and It’s All From Scratch.

16 Apr

Tuesday was Free Cone day at Ben & Jerry’s. It was also rainy and miserable here in New York City. I love free stuff. I love ice cream. And yet, I declined to attend this glorious occasion (see: rainy and miserable). I was sort of disappointed and seriously have been craving ice cream ever since. I could a. Continue to wallow and refuse to spend money on a scoop of deliciousness, b. Uh, go to Ben & Jerry’s or…

Holy Fake Out Batman! There’s a way to get my Chunky Monkey on for a fraction of the calories, price AND time?! Sorcery!

Ok, it’s not “magic food,” it’s bananas. More specifically, frozen bananas. Which always makes me think of George-Michael Bluth’s Frozen Banana Stand.

Add Arrested Development to your Netflix queue, peeps!

So bananas tend to ripen and over-ripen rather quickly. If you live alone like I do, you end up with browned, bruised fruits that you absolutely must use to make muffins or bread because you live on sugar/waste nothing. Or, you decide to use your brain and your freezer, which is what this utterly brilliant blogger has done. Just in time for summer! This is also probably a great way to get your kids to eat more fruit, too. Tell them they’re eating ice cream. That’s right…LIE.

If you don’t feel like clicking over, all you have to do for two servings is puree three bananas in a blender until they’re smooth and start to resemble frozen yogurt/ice cream. Then, add your toppings. Smithfield recommends topping with heart-healthy walnuts and dark chocolate chips.

I’m but a small woman trying to conserve bananas for, um…my own frozen banana stand? For one serving, I pureed one banana with a touch of soy or regular milk. I’d suggest throwing in some blueberries and adding a bit of cinnamon to the finished product too.

Here’s what I created. The Smithfield version is much prettier, and I’m sure whoever made that bowl didn’t drop her glasses into her bowl in a fit of glee. Even that really didn’t stop me from polishing off this yummy creation and congratulating myself for eating healthy. I’m awesome.

To your health!

Advertisements

7 Responses to “Magic Food! It’s Quick, it’s Healthy, and It’s All From Scratch.”

1. Anonymous April 17, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

This is definitly gonna help my ice cream craving without feeling guilty right after i taste heaven!

2. kim April 18, 2011 at 10:34 am #

omg sybil i can not express how excited i am to try this. i recently bought a crazy big bunch of bananas and this morning thought i might have to make some banana bread soon if i don’t step up and eat them faster – but NO! – i am totally doing this and adding peanut butter. i have a slight obsession with peanut butter… quick question, do you freeze them in the peel? or peel them, wrap them up and freeze them?

oh and i’m loving your blog! ๐Ÿ™‚
    xo
    kim

• Shibow April 18, 2011 at 10:37 am #

Hi Kim!! So glad you’re loving the blog, thanks! Yes, totally go with peanut butter…yummm. As for freezing, definitely peel the bananas and throw them in a Ziploc or wrap them in aluminum foil beforehand. Trust me when I say it’s almost impossible to peel these babies once they’re frozen, and they turn into a gooey mess if you try to thaw them without peeling them first. Enjoy! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Sylvia April 18, 2011 at 8:21 pm #

because i love icecream and we got a hell of a lot of bananas here… well, i’m gonna try this =D

• Shibow April 20, 2011 at 10:26 am #

Do you, Sylvapotamus. Do YOU.

4. kim April 20, 2011 at 10:24 am #

so two nights ago i took 2 of my bananas and peeled them, wrapped them in foil and started the freeze process. last night i decided to test this out, i don’t have a blender so me mashing up the banana probably would’ve been hysterical to watch but i didn’t let that discourage me. i added some peanut butter (i’ll admit my pb to banana ratio might’ve been slightly off…) and i am a fan. thanks again for helping me trick myself off ice cream ๐Ÿ™‚

• Shibow April 20, 2011 at 10:27 am #

Ahahaha Kim! How did you manage to mash those up by hand? Props. Glad you’re enjoying the trickery though, hehe